What is the ACT Mental Health Consumer Network?
The ACT Mental Health Consumer Network is an organisation that is run by consumers for consumers. Our aim is to bring about a higher standard of health care in the mental health sector through representation, lobbying and active involvement in new developments in the mental health sector.
Our organisation is extremely committed to the rights of mental health consumers. We promote a respectful and accepting system that involves Consumers, Carers and Professionals listening and respecting one another in an active healthy relationship. We also promote the development of support structures for all these groups.
Our Aims as an Organisation are:
- To accurately represent the interests of mental health consumers to service providers, community and government at all levels.
- To facilitate meaningful communication between mental health service providers, carers and consumers.
- To increase mental health literacy amongst consumers and service providers through participation and education.
- To give a voice to ACT mental health consumers through lobbying, education and representation.
- To empower consumers by valuing their experiences of the mental health system in the ACT.
What Do We Do?
We represent consumers, bringing their voices to professionals by:
- Participating on committees.
- Participating in and assisting with research programs.
- Lobbying the government and mental health service providers.
- Facilitating education programs for professionals.
Through our representation of consumers we are:
- Working to advance their dignity, knowledge and respect.
- Working proactively together to ensure provision of appropriate and timely support, assistance and treatment to mental health consumers.
- Working towards reintegration into quality life in our society.